Wednesday 17 August 2011

REFLECTION WEEK 7a-ASSIGNMENT 8a (Spreadsheet) and 8b (Excel)

          This week’s assignment was divided into two parts, assignment 8a (spreadsheet) and assignment 8b (excel) and now we are only left with one assignment after we have been struggling in order to finish up our assigned tasks or course work and now I am so happy that we only have one assignment to be done which is assignment 9 but anyways for the moment being I will share my great experience from the process of completing this particular assignment (assignment 8a and 8b).
         For assignment 8a, we were required to plan, create and edit a simple one year personal financial management (income and spending) spreadsheet using Calc and name the sheet according to the month ie Aug11, Sept11, Jul12 and so on. After that, we also need to create a formula to calculate a balance for each month (ie. balance of august – will be added to the balance of sept) and lastly link the formula between the sheets. Honestly, this task was quite hard for me as I am not really good in dealing with Microsoft excel. I do not even know how to use and apply the different functions that were available in it even though I used to follow a computer class before but it was like few years ago after I finished my SPM. It seems that all the knowledge that I have learned throughout the computer class were all gone and now I had to recall them again in order to complete my tasks. Mr. Fariduddin is the one who has given me a lot of guidance, supports and encouragement whenever I have problem in comprehending the requirements of the task and I am so grateful for having a lecturer like him and not to forget my course coordinator Dr. Siti Fatimah Mohd. Yassin for her commitment, innovation and determination in providing us with different inputs about ICT. After my partner and I have finished it, we finally uploaded it in GoogleDocs to share with our lecturer and also our coursemates.
          Meanwhile, for assignment 8b, we were asked to plan, create and edit a spreadsheet of students’ score and grade analysis by using the functions in Microsoft excel such as VLOOKUP which refers to the grade of the score, STDEV and AVERAGE or the score, COUNTIF to calculate how many students for each grade and after that we need to create a suitable and meaningful graph and sort to rank the highest to the lowest score for each subject; filter to select based on certain queries. Honestly, this task was very hard for me to understand the steps needed in order to come up with the analysis of students’ score and grade analysis since I have never done this kind of thing before. For example, I do not even know some of the functions of the certain buttons in the Microsoft Excel and that’s why it was hard for me to get this task done. This situation really made me worry and I was afraid if I could not finish this task just because of having zero knowledge in this area, but I managed to resolve this problem by asking my benevolent, humble and kind lecturer, Mr. Fariduddin. He has helped me a lot in finishing this task and he taught me in details on how to use the several functions in Microsoft Excel and I hope that what I have learned from him, I would remember it forever as that knowledge will indeed useful for me as a teacher to be. Once again, I would like to thank him for his guidance and support to me. I promise to myself that even though I am not an ICT savvy, but I should not take that as a reason not to develop my knowledge in this area.

FREDDY BAIWAL
B.ED TESL (SM) UKM-IPGKS
INSTITUT PENDIDIKAN GURU KAMPUS SARAWAK
Jalan Bakam, 98000 Miri,
SARAWAK.
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
TEL NO : 013-8579721

Yahoo mail : freddyukm@yahoo.com
Gmail : freddyukm@gmail.com
Facebook Address : http://www.facebook.com/freddyukm
Yahoo Group Address : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FreddyBaiwalA135745IPGKS
Blog's URL : http://freddybaiwal.blogspot.com  





















No comments:

Post a Comment